If you are looking for ways to improve your gut health, then adding more probiotics into your daily life is a great place to start! Take a look at the purpose and benefits of probiotics, food sources, as well as what to look for in a probiotic supplement:
What are probiotics?
The term “probiotic” refers to living organisms that have many health benefits throughout the body, particularly in the area of gut health. Your body naturally produces forms of these microorganisms, and having a good balance of helpful bacteria in the gut aids in digesting food and boosting the immune system, for example. Probiotics can be found in both fermented foods and dietary supplements, which we will discuss in further detail.
Gut Health Benefits of Probiotics
So who would benefit from taking a probiotic? If you struggle with gut irregularities such as constipation and diarrhea, then you could definitely benefit from probiotics.
Probiotics can be effective in preventing and treating infection or antibiotic-induced diarrhea.
Those with IBS or another form of a chronic gut condition may experience relief from
symptoms by taking probiotics.
Probiotics help to strengthen the gut-immune barrier and fight off harmful infections, so it’s one of the best things for boosting immune system function.
Research is continuously being done about other benefits of probiotics, from dental health and allergy relief to cardiovascular health and lowered stress levels. But probiotics are effective in increasing healthy bacteria in the digestive system, which overall has widespread effects on immunity and gut health.
Probiotic Foods & Supplements
There are many food sources for probiotics that you can start incorporating into your meals. Look for labels on yogurt packaging that say “live and active cultures” or start drinking kefir, a thin, yogurt-like fermented milk drink that also contains gut-healthy vitamins and minerals such as calcium and B vitamins. A few other fermented foods you can try include sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, tempeh, and kombucha; however, diet alone is not always enough when it comes to maintaining a happy and healthy gut. Consider taking a daily supplement to ensure your body has more good bacteria than bad! Here are just a couple of probiotic supplement options that we can recommend:
- It provides excellent support for bowel regularity, lactose digestion, a healthy gut biome, and a strong immune system response.
- These vegetarian, dairy, and gluten-free capsules are sealed in blister packs that protect from heat, moisture, and oxygen.
- It contains 4 strains of helpful bacteria totaling 100 billion CFU per capsule.
- The gastro-resistant capsules are designed to slow the exposure of active ingredients to stomach acid to ensure the targeted release of bacteria into the gut.
- It promotes the optimal function of the immune-gut barrier and can support healthy weight management by helping to reduce body fat mass and encouraging the intake of fewer calories.
- This probiotic supplement is also vegetarian, gluten- and dairy-free as well as resistant to harmful stomach acids.
- It features the patented Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis B420 strain, which has been found to be safe, effective, and well-tolerated.
Now that you know about the benefits of probiotics, you can add this supplement to your daily routine and start improving your gut health one day at a time! Riverside Village Pharmacy’s line of supplements includes a variety of other types of wellness products, from magnesium and Vitamin D supplements to collagen powder, a weight management kit, and more. Reach out to us if you have any questions regarding how to choose the right products for your family.